Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Devil Q&A

4.  What purpose does Satan serve?

Based on class discussions and analyzation of the readings, I would say that Satan's serves many purposes.  To name a couple: he has been a scape goat, and an advocate of sin.  I think primarily, however, he has been a tool used to scare the believing population into staying within the norms of society.

5.  Do you believe in Satan?  If yes, how would you describe Satan?  If no, why do you think people believe in Satan?

I am skeptical of many things we have discussed in class but I don't think I believe in Satan.  I feel as though people believe in Satan because it makes having faith in the Catholic/Christian God a little bit easier.  Belief in Satan gives people a figure to blame for all of the unfortunate occurrences of life.

6. What is the relationship between Satan and evil?

I think many people would say that Satan is the cause of evil or that he is the one who plants evil ideas into our minds.  I would say that, for me, the idea of Satan is related to evil by the pure fact that humans placed them together.

7.  Do we need Satan in order to believe in God?

I don't necessarily think we need belief in Satan for belief in God.  My idea of God is not that of the Christian religion, therefore, I do not include Satan as a part of my beliefs.  If I was Catholic, for example, I would probably believe in Satan because he is an integral part of that religion.

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad about your skepticism Angie! I am the saaaammmmeee way ;)

    ReplyDelete