Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My view of the Devil: Then and Now

When I first went to class, I didn't know much about the devil. Although I had been raised Catholic, my church and family talked about God and Jesus not the devil. Prior to starting the class, I did believe in some type of evil being, but I was unsure about the details. Now, I don't really believe in the devil at all. Our analysis of the bible made me realize there are so many inconsistencies in the text that no of it is really believable. Later religions put so much emphasis on how evil satan is and how good God is, but the proof is in the bible. God let devils, or adversaries test humans. To me, this shows that satan isn't really a bad guy. He's just following orders. God is the wrathful in the old testament, something I was not taught in church. Even in later works of literature like Doctor Faustus the devil is not claiming innocent souls. Doctor Faustus sought out the devil and he was warned about the consequences of selling his soul to the devil before he signed anything. All of this makes me think that the devil isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. But that being said, I still think the devil is just a made up entity made to personify the evil in human nature.

1 comment:

  1. If the Devil is made to personify evil, then should we really say he "isn't really a bad guy"?

    ReplyDelete