Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Devil II

In the beginning of this class I posted to this blog saying that the Devil was a scary figure found in the Bible and in horror movies.  He was the antagonist of God's story.  While this image has not exactly been erased from my mind, I can say that it has been altered in some ways.
My view of the Devil after the first two months of this class has been broadened.  I can now say that based on what we have read, the Devil is multidimensional.  On one hand he is this awful, self-absorbed, manipulative liar.  He would do anything to overrule the kingdom of Heaven or to get someone on his side.  Then, on the other hand, he is this pathetic, trapped, depressing creature.  God must first authorize all of the Devil’s influence in the world. He is shunned from this amazing kingdom that God rules, which he had the chance to be part of, and now must watch it all pass him by from Hell.

I still cannot tell you whether or not I believe in the Devil.  However, based on what I've learned I can say that he is a much more complicated character than I had believed him to be.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. It is difficult to determine, in my opinion, whether the Devil actually exists or not since the time we have been in this class.

    ReplyDelete