Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Relations with Lucifer

I've had a borderline athiestic/agnostic viewpoint for the last six years of my life, so Satan/Lucifer/the devil has always been a bit of a humorous topic to me. I know that sounds messed up, but I've been desensitized to the taboo that surround the Devil and evil of any sort. Only recently have I become involved in any kind of voluntary spirituality, that being Witchcraft. Just so you know, witches don't believe in the Christian devil, nor do they believe in the Christian Hell.

While I am still unsure about what I believe, I know what I've been taught by the Catholic schools I've attended from Pre-K through high school (and I suppose, now at Loyola). Satan is an angel that was cast down by God because he was power-hungry. Hence, "hell" was created. He is everything that embodies temptation, which ultimately leads to sin. This makes sense and all, but maybe Satan is just a symbol of immorality--a personified depiction of everything evil in the world.

I've mentioned above that my view of Satan has been desensitized, and I will explain why. The duration of my high school years, I've been involved with the local metal and hardcore scene, here in Louisiana. Many of my friends are in local bands, and many of us did our best to support the scene and our all-ages music venue in Metairie. The reason I mention this is because a branch of hardcore/metal culture often mocks Christianity (because many patrons identify as athiests) and therefore, the taboo of Satan is almost nonexistent. Jokes and references (for example, Sail Hatan, 666, etc.) are common among this circle of people. I suppose this is why I'm not afraid to talk about Satan as a mythological figure.

While I am still unsure of my personal beliefs towards this subject, I've always been utterly fascinated with dark spirituality and demonology. My favorite genre of film is horror, so I'm constantly watching films about exorcism (The Exorcist, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and The Rite, to name a few). I am also partially familiar with Satanism as a philosophy. I hope to learn more about the devil, as depicted by various sources studied in this class.

-Olivia

P.S. My betta fish's name is Lucifer. Lu for short.

2 comments:

  1. i happen to agree with you, i cant view satan leaning on a pitchfork, standing on goat legs with the horns of a bull yelling into a pit of fire to "burn baby burn" just doesnt scream fallen angel to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I can never watch The Exorcist but a part of me wants to and I'm insanely interested in it.

    P.S. Your fish's name is cute.

    ReplyDelete